Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of WhatsApp analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In WhatsApp SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like WhatsApp to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. WhatsApp is one of the leading brands in the IT & Technology sector.
The article below lists the WhatsApp SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the WhatsApp SWOT Analysis:
For WhatsApp, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of WhatsApp looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of WhatsApp :
1. WhatsApp is a top of the mind app among customers worldwide for personal & private chats
2. WhatsApp has a very high awareness and extremely high user engagement
3. With increase in telecom services, the app has had a cascading effect in terms of installations
4. Ad free service and hence higher customer satisfaction
5. WhatsApp has a strong loyal customer base of over 1.5 billion users worldwide
6. Available in all major smartphone platforms like iOS, Android etc
7. WhatsApp has been enjoying early mover advantage in the chatting platform
8. Bug free compared to its competitors (Works smoothly without any problems)
9. WhatsApp Inc was acquired by Facebook in 2014 for approx. US$19 billion
10. The brand has very high penetration in India, Brazil, UK & other parts of Europe
11. WhatsApp also plans to launch application for small businesses & enterprise level solutions
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the WhatsApp SWOT Analysis:
1. Vulnerability of encryption, promotion of hatred etc have all been linked to WhatsApp
2. Fear among users that data might get leaked due to cloud
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in WhatsApp SWOT Analysis:
1. Increasing internet penetration especially in developing countries can be leveraged by WhatsApp
2. Increasing smartphone users would help in keeping customers engaged
3. Technological development & better services can help WhatsApp reach to a wider audience
4. Ensuring better security & privacy of user data, and controlling viral outbursts can help improve its image
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of WhatsApp are as mentioned:
1. Intense competition from similar apps can hurt WhatsApp's user engagement
2. Similar applications are also available for free
3. Strict actions by governments can be a threat for WhatsApp & its operations
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 9 competitors of WhatsApp:
WhatsApp offers simplicity & user friendly platform for private chats
All internet users (Smartphone as well as web)
Customers who need personalized messenger application (Relatively younger segment)
WhatsApp is a simple, user friendly & personal social media app
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to WhatsApp. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute