John Lewis SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of John Lewis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like John Lewis to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. John Lewis is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the John Lewis SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the John Lewis SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For John Lewis, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of John Lewis looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of John Lewis :
1. John Lewis is one of the most posh and upmarket retail stores in the UK
2. John Lewis offers a wide range of fashion brands to choose from and also their own brands
3. The brand also offers option to shop online along with international delivery
4. The company has over 30,000 employees in its workforce
5. John Lewis company is known for its policy of "Never Knowingly Undersold"
6. The brand has international presence in a few other countries like Ireland and Australia
7. The annual revenue of the company is more than $3 billion
8. John Lewis offers products like clothing, footwear, home decor, furniture, beauty products etc.
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the John Lewis SWOT Analysis:
1. Limited awareness of the brand outside of UK, as compared to some of its international competitors
2. The prices of items are higher than supermarkets and grocery stores which might limit the target group
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in John Lewis SWOT Analysis:
1. More young professionals living away from home and are brand and image conscious. Hence their target group is increasing fast
2. Increasing purchasing power parity leading to improved lifestyles
3. Expand network, product selection and reach to people by opening up more flagship stores along the lines of their growth strategy currently being pursued
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of John Lewis are as mentioned:
1. Economic recession and financial instability in a country can impact the purchasing power of the people
2. Intense competition from corner stores, supermarkets, grocery stores and host of other convenience stores
3. Competition laws an lack of large scale development space leading to merger of many convenience stores
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 6 competitors of John Lewis:
2. Marks and Spencer
Hence this concludes the John Lewis SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|John Lewis Overview|
John Lewis & Partners
Never Knowingly Undersold
Department store with online shopping which includes fashion, homeware, sports and electrical items.
|John Lewis STP|
People who have irregular working hours or work shifts
Working class professionals who are fashion conscious and build a brand for themselves
The 'at home' stores are located within pre-existing shopping regions, and focus on Electrical, Home and Technology products
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to John Lewis. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us